Goa: High Court refuses to stay Defence Expo, next hearing on Wednesday

Defence Expo 2016, Goa, Goa High court, Def Expo interim stay rejected, Goa High Court refuse interim stay, Goa Defence Expo protest, Def Expo petition, Defence Expo controversy, Indian Express, India newsThe Bombay High Court at Goa refused to give an interim stay on the four day Defence Expo starting March 28. The petitioners, Freddy Fernandes and Irene Lawrence, had submitted before the High Court that the exhibition lacked transparency in its functioning and that it posed danger to the lives of villagers nearby.

On the other hand, Advocate General Atmaram Nadkarni said that a power point presentation had already been presented to the residents of the villages on February 25, where as the contention that the exhibition itself posed threat to the lives was based on lack of information. Hearing the argument from the parties, the division bench headed by Justice K L Wadane and Justice F M Reis said since the presentation had already been given to the local residents, the case did not find any merit to be given an interim stay. The matter was posted for Wednesday, as petitioners sought to file rejoinders. Speaking to the media, petitioner Freddy said that despite not being given relief by the court, the locals will carry out peaceful protests during the Def Expo.

[Source:- Indianexpress]